Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Class Weeks Four and Five: Era of Triumph

Two weeks pass in uneventful silence as I struggle through maintaining my classes in perfect order and harmony while at the same time gradually detaching myself from the hellish pit I've unknowingly sunk into at work. It's actually an enlightening feeling to have lesser things to worry about now (aside from the fact that I have not started correcting my students' assignments, seatworks, and quizzes yet). As it is, allow me to happily recall the events that had transpired in the past two weeks of my classes.

Weeks four and five of class were definitely a blast - I had managed to devise a crafty group / team activity that mixes a blend of Perfect World's Territorial Warfare, the cheesy graphics and standards of Advance Wars, and at the same time the dogmatic boring Quiz Bee model. The result? The IT Concepts Wargames!

It covers a broad warfare that will span the entire trimester and will pit four groups of students in a battle of wits as they struggle to maintain a healthy amount of territories which carry with it bonus points for their quizzes - nothing can still be more motivating than acquiring bonus points for increasing quiz results. But of course it doesn't come any easier, for you have three other groups to contend with.

The activity was a blast on both classes and very much looking forward to the next sessions, which already pits a world war, as some of my students call it. Reading their remarks and comments on that activity through their blog projects actually makes me interestingly happy and motivated to continue with that activity.

As part of my blog post for today, allow me to post the current standings of the war:

ABMA83 - The Metallic Fruits

Red Team: The Uranium Cherries (3 Bonus Points)
Blue Team: The Iron Strawberries (10 Bonus Points)
Green Team: The Silver Papayas (2 Bonus Points)
Yellow Team: The Titanium Nectarines (12 Bonus Points)
Black Team: The Instructor's Territories (The Iron Mangoes)

AC81 - The Colorful Heavens


Red Team: The Silver Stars (20.5 Bonus Points)
Blue Team: The Blue Moon (9 Bonus Points)
Green Team: The Red Sun (6.5 Bonus Points)
Yellow Team: The Instructor's Territories (The Golden Meteors)
Black Team: The Black Hole (4.5 Bonus Points)

Posting it as an update and as a motivation for my classes to persevere harder! Sad to say, I am still finding ways for my Programming Concepts class to involve similar fun activities yet at the same time invoking their lessons and exercises along the way.

That's all for today, keep it up guys, great work!

~Sir Dave~
Once a gamer, always will be a gamer


No comments: