Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Vampiric Chronicles Part Ten: Under the Witch's Moon

Something extremely romantic that I seem to have failed to append to the Chronicles in the wave of euphoria that constantly kept streaming in my body now makes its way here. Up until now I can't help but be crumpled to a heap when it strikes me.

Several days after John's daring moves, a friend of Mark had dropped by from a large metropolis not too far from their small town. It was Paul, another fellow vampire that hounded the outskirts of the larger, more civilized area. The visitor arrived at exactly moonrise the following day and Mark had requested John to be with him to welcome their guest.

"Ah, it is fine to be back in your Manor and in the midst of your hospitality, my friend." Paul said, as he and Mark exchanged a brief, friendly hug. "And this must be the new friend you speak of lately."

"This is John." Mark said, motioning a hand to the young vampire, whom Paul shook hands with rather cordially. "He is a very obedient little vampire, although he has abstained from blood of late."

"Truly? Well it does not show in his complexion, does it?" Paul said, staring at John with a piercing look. "Are you sure you really are a vampire?"

"Y-yes, I am." John said, opening his mouth a bit to expose the two fangs that he had learned to control when to and not to appear.

"Mmm, quite an interesting specimen you are. I expect I will enjoy my stay here with more company to be with. My abode at the city makes me rather lonesome."

They had dinner after the introductions and right after that Mark prepared for his evening raid, his guest preferring to stay for the night and have a rest. Thus John was left at the Manor as always, entertaining their guest instead.

"I see you are not an ordinary vampire, my boy." Paul said, accepting a cup of blood-tinted tea from the hunchback servant. "You have the Enchantment around you."

"The Enchantment?" John asked.

"I am no idiot to ancient spells of dark times, my boy. I know them all." Paul said. "You have fallen for a witch, have you not?"

John's insides tightened. How could he - ?

"It comes as no surprise, my boy." Paul said, laughing the thought aside and setting the teacup down. "It is evident that a witch has given you her utmost protection - in the darkness of our underworld it is a sign of love."

"I... I don't know what to say, I..."

"No, you don't. But I am sure, you know what you must tell her. You have not yet, have you?"

"Well, I..."

Paul laughed again.

"Since Mark holds you in such high favor, then I shall too." Paul said, plunging a hand deep in his coat. "Tonight is the night of the Witch's Moon. Now would be the best time to do it."

His hand emerged from his coat, holding out a magnificent golden rose.

"Take this rose, and give it to her." Paul said, smiling.

"I... thank you!" John cried, smiling, his eyes almost shining with tears.

"Ha ha ha, don't hold back, my boy. You are an admirable vampire!"

Half-stunned, John leapt from his chair and rushed out of the house, flying past woodlands and countrysides and heading to the dark woods he was now familiar with. At the night sky, a pale reddish moon hung low, casting a solemn glare throughout the land.

He caught up with the witch right outside her small shack, where Lady Sandra was preparing a small ritual circle for the festivity of the Witch's Moon. As the witch held a cauldron filled with water in her hands, John approached her, still half-gasping for breath.

"My, my, what brings you here, John?" Sandra asked concernedly. "Something's not wrong, is it?"

"No, Sandra." John gasped, now smiling at her. "I... I just came here to..."

"Yes?"

"Sandra I..."

John drew out the golden rose from his coat pocket, unharmed and undamaged by his running effort. He took Sandra's hand and placed it tenderly on it, holding it up to his lips and planting a small kiss on the now closed hand 'round the rose.

"Sandra, I love you!"

The witch dropped her cauldron with shock as John swept her into his arms once again and gave her a passionate kiss on the lips - a kiss that only the Witch's Moon bore witness to, and perhaps a bat that was flying around the woods that night.

Now didn't I really miss that part? The admission came first before it even got into the story, haha!

No comments: