Thursday, September 06, 2007

Shall We Play?

My typical day is never complete without me being online even for at least an hour, and during my earlier days of gaming I can be online from the last few hours of the evening until the first few hours of the morning - not that I don't do it anymore, though, of course I still do ^_^

During those times as well my life was always on the warpath as far as the field of online gaming is concerned. My parents, particularly my dad, was my number one enemy when it comes to this industry, since he has everyone else's mindset that gaming is not a healthy habit for young teenagers and even adults to indulge into, and they should rather be putting their energies to more productive things such as work or education. Not that I neglect my studies due to gaming, since even my classmates are amazed that even a hardcore gamer such as myself can gain top marks in class! (/heh. LOL)

In fact, one can consider online gaming as my driving factor in my studies. I've often noticed that an absence in the online world renders me unable to focus on what I'm supposed to do at school. Call me weird, but that's what happened during my earlier days of study. Before I entered the world of online gaming, my life was like that of Mr. Clark (Richard Gere, from the movie Shall We Dance) whose life was entirely monotonous with work and family until he discovered the world of dancing.

Back to the online gaming then. During my earlier days of gaming I was a proud participant of the Honor Roll Program for Ragnarok Online and got a lot of incentives from submitting my grades and marks in the program. Heck, I even got an interview in Massive! for that program!

What a lot of people do not realize about online gaming is that it's not just a game. I've endlessly highlighted in my previous posts that online gaming has a lot of hidden benefits and treasures that are worth keeping for the rest of your life - from friends and relationships to values and ethics. I can say for myself that these factors have greatly changed my life and has made me into a more mature and responsible person. I learned the value of putting work priorities and managing my schedule to accommodate my gaming with the ever-increasing burden of studies.

Right now my parents had taken quite a docile manner with regards to my gaming. Perhaps the alternate side of online gaming has finally touched and opened their minds that it's really not just a game that is played and finished and discarded in time. So if you think your life is headed to boredom when your day-to-day tasks are revolving around the same things, why not try online gaming, and make some difference?

For GM Tristan's Group Writing Project, I commend my thoughts for everyone to read. Thank you for your time, I hope I've made my impression :)

No comments: